Cashiers -(pronounced locally as Cash'-ers, only tourists pronounce it like it's spelled) According to local tradition, Cashiers was named for a lost horse named Cash, Cassius or Cashiers who was eventually found in this valley. The first settler was Colonel John A. Zachary of Surrey County, N.C. who arrived in the valley in 1833. The Zachary homestead included what is now downtown Cashiers as well as the High Hampton Country Club land. Jonathan Zachary, son of John, was the first postmaster of Cashiers, appointed in 1839. In 1881 the name of the post office was changed to just plain Cashiers. Barak Norton was the first settler in near-by Whiteside Cove. Cashiers remains today one of the prettiest valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, peppered with summer homes, resorts and shops.
Cherokee - In 1889 the North Carolina General Assembly adopted an act that incorporated the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. It declared all state land grants valid. In 1895, the General Assembly amended the 1889 act, setting up a system of government similar to that under a previous tribal constitution. The act included the settlements of Wolftown, Painttown and part of Birdtown in Jackson County. The Eastern Band is located on 56,500 acres located in five counties. They have sovereignty over its members and its property. With the opening of Harrah's Resort, Cherokee has become a major tourist attraction. Be careful of the "authentic Indian crafts" sold along side the road, most are not. If you go, be sure to see the play "Unto These Hills", depicting the Cherokee exile on the Trail of Tears.
Cullowhee - Meaning "white lily" in Cherokee, Cullowhee is the home of Western Carolina University, originally a small school for the education of mountain children established in 1889. Cullowhee was originally a militia district when the area was part of Macon County. Located on an old Cherokee settlement, an Indian mound was discovered during the construction of WCU. The Cullowhee post office was established in 1877 with David F. Brown as first postmaster.
East LaPorte - A small community that developed on the site of an 18th century French Huguenot trading post. It was considered an east door (le porte) to the Cherokees. Look for Aunt Sally's Monument along the side of the road.
Glenville - Located in Hamburg Township, Glenville was the site of a fort used in case of Indian attacks. Known settlers in the area before 1827 were George and William Barnes, Mark and Bright Burrell, James Ledford, James Webster, William Wilson and Henry Woods. Hamburgh (with an h) post office was established in 1856 and the name was changed to Glenville in 1891, when it was incorporated as a town. Nantahala Power and Light Company developed Thorpe Lake (sometimes still called Lake Glenville) there for the production of electricity in 1941. The lake is 4.5 miles long and covers almost 1,500 acres with a maximum depth of 135 feet. A dam was built across the west fork of the Tuckasegee River and forever dried up the once massive High Falls of the Tuckasegge, over 100 feet in heighth. The original town of Glenville was located in the valley now covered by the lake. Today, the lake is surrounded by summer and year-round residences.
Sylva - The county seat of Jackson County was named for William D. Sylva, a Dane who worked as a carpenter for Judge Ridley Cannon's sawmill. The town was founded in 1880 when the Sylva post office was established with Lula A. Cannon as the first postmistress. In 1890, the railroad route to Dillsboro was plotted to go through Sylva instead of the current county seat of Webster. The town quickly grew and became the county's commercial center. After bitter fighting, the county voted to move the county seat from Webster to Sylva in 1913. Today Sylva is a growing town located in a picturesque valley. If you visit, be sure to go to the old Court House located high on a hill overlooking the town. All county records, however, have been transferred to the new Court House and are available on computer.
Webster - Originally purchased as an 18 acre tract from Nathan Allen to be the county seat, Webster was a growing town within a few years of the courthouse being built in 1855. Thomas Bragg Allison was born to J. B. and Rebecca Allison on August 19, 1954, the first child born in the village. Webster was incorporated as a town in 1859. When the state assumed responsibility of building the Western North Carolina Railway in the 1880's, it was decided to run the railroad through Sylva instead of Webster, saving several miles of track. After much fighting and debate, in May of 1913 the citizens of Jackson County voted to move the county seat from Webster to Sylva.
by Clark Whittier who in 1881 purchased 60,000 acres of land for development,
Whittier was incorporated as a town in 1887. Dr. A. M. Bennett was
appointed mayor until elections could be held. The lumber boom during
the early 1900's caused Whittier to grow rapidly because of its location
as a shipping point on the railroad and proximity to sawmills. But
during the Depression the demand for lumber declined and the U. S. Government
began purchasing property for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Whittier began to decline and the citizens petitioned the legislature to
repeal the town's charter in 1933. Today, only a few business are
located on the Jackson County side of the town but the post office continues
to be used.